A brand new Motor Vehicle Use Map layer (MVUM) is now live on the site. This incorporates national BLM and USFS data sets to provide a single streamlined layer for offroad drivers and overlanders to utilize. This was a commonly requested layer and we’re happy to have it live!
A bunch of random notes on this layer.
- We went with different styling than the USFS or BLM maps so that we could combine those data sources seamlessly. The key is in a photo here, and available by clicking MVUM Info in the layer menu or the top right corner of the screen.
- The layer hasn’t been packaged for download yet, we wanted to look for errors or bugs with it online for 1-2 weeks first, then we will package it for download. It will be there for the final app release (and yes, available offline with a subscription)
- We are still attempting to add additional data sets to the layer so if you have a favorite offroad system that is missing, feel free to send the data to us and we will do our best to incorporate additional data sets
- We left the listed opening and closing dates off each road since they change season to season and based on conditions, instead we just note a seasonal closure road (so be ready for those upcoming winter closures)
- We also do not have the backcountry camping information from USFS, they print this on their maps, but do not distribute it digitally so there was no way for us to add that information(bummer).
If you use this map, feel free to send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org